The Idiot Testament Forum Index The Idiot Testament
Idiots discussing idiotic things

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Death of Captain America

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Idiot Testament Forum Index -> Comic Books
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fernwick
Grand Poobah

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: The Death of Captain America Reply with quote

Wow. I just have to say wow. I was a fervent collector of comics when I was very young, and one of my favorites was Captain America. I love how he really didn't have any powers, he was just VERY strong, and had simple fighting skills. I loved the completely invulnerable shield he carried. But apparently in the comic book world they are mirroring the events of 911 by having a hero accidentally cause a 911 type incident, causing all heroes to "register" and the good Cap' refuses. So he is ultimately arrested, and shot by a sniper on the steps of the courthouse and is apparently dead. And according to Marvel, they don't want to just "bring him back", his death according to them had "meaning", but just how deep a meaning is a good question. According to the article they wanted to emulate things like the loss of American freedoms like the patriot act, the increasingly more difficult task of openly disagreeing with the government. So with the death of Captain America, is it symbolic of the actual soon death of America itself? Or is it simply the death of an American icon? Talk to me people.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/books/03/07/captain.americ a/index.html

Last edited by Fernwick on Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:32 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
EvilHomer
Major Idiot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also read that article.....It is sad....in mirroring the way our Great Country is headed. Sad but true..... Crying or Very sad
Mike
Grand Poobah

Location: The Idiot Testament Compound, exact location undisclosed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually heard about this on the way to work on Friday. It's strange. On the morning that I woke up to find that thousands of American citizens had lost their lives in the Twin Towers on the morning of 9-11, I could find no tears to shed. When I watch the daily reports of young American soldiers losing their lives valiantly fighting in a war that never should have been waged, I am unable to weep. On a daily basis, I am inundated with images and stories of real people suffering and dying on the streets of America and in foreign lands and yet I cannot seem to feel any genuine emotion towards these senseless events. I am completely inured to their suffering; for these strangers, my fellow humans, I have no tears.

On that cold morning that I heard the news, I shed a tear for Cap. Not so much for the character himself, I guess. I never actually read one his comics. I think I wept more for the death of what Cap represented in a time when we really need a symbol like him the most.

Rest in peace, Cap.

-mm
Fernwick
Grand Poobah

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject: wow Reply with quote

Welcome back to the forums Mike, we welcome your commentary, and perfectly spelled speeches Smile

Yay!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Idiot Testament Forum Index -> Comic Books All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: